The original Sagamore Inn was built in 1900 along the old road to Provincetown, located further east on Route 6A next to Knowlton’s Auto Salvage. It burned down in 1930. The Sandwich Independent newspaper chronicled that the town’s efforts had failed to save the Inn. The New Bedford Standard Times took the town to task for not having enough pumpers and hydrants to handle the blaze.
Later in the 1930’s, the new Inn, constructed the same year, was built on the town line. The Inn was under new ownership run by Ren West and wife Mary Nye. This was known as the Inn’s “most colorful” ownership. It had been said that Mr. West’s political activity as a Democrat earned him a Republican enmity. The politically powerful Ebenn S. S. Keith tried to close him down but failed to do so. Mr. West bested him in court and then renamed the Inn the “Never Close Restaurant.” Mr. Keith and others, however, had Mr. West committed to the state asylum in Taunton, but not for long, Mr. West was quickly released, erecting a sign reading: “Run By The Only Man Adjudged Sane On Cape Cod.”
Later in the late 30’s, the restaurant was sold to E. Seymour Clark, who renamed it the Sagamore Inn. Prior to WWII, the restaurant was owned by Bill Bianco, during which time GI’s trainees at Camp Edwards, would twirl their dates across the dance floor, which is now the main dining room.
Joseph A. and Shirley Pagliarani bought the restaurant in 1963, making the local landmark famous for seafood platters, Italian pasta dishes and “Shirl’s Yankee Pot Roast.” In 2009, the restaurant was sold to locals, Michael and Suzanne Bilodeau, who continue the legacy of the restaurant today.