Back to previous

Chapel in the Pines

  • Details

    The Chapel in the Pines is treasured by many as a beautiful “Carpenter Gothic” style Victorian church.

    The building had its origins in the growing desire by many late-19th century New Englanders to move away from the strictures of fundamentalist religion. Universalist Societies were providing a liberal alternative to rigidly conservative denominations. The Eastham Universalist Society was formed in August of 1889 and drew into its membership such prominent local citizens as Sea Captain Edward Penniman and the Knowles and Nickerson families. Stories about its founding include nightmares experienced by Captain Penniman’s daughter following fire-and-brimstone sermons at the Methodist church and the arrest of  local fishermen for the “sin” of fishing on the Sabbath. The movement to establish a proper home for the new Society was on!

    One of the Nickersons donated a plot of land, and Captain Penniman chaired the building committee. Under the direction of Elkany Hopkins many Society members contributed long hours to the construction of the small, graceful building with its gothic-style stained-glass windows, steeply pitched roof and steeple, and welcoming entry porch. The building was completed in just five months!

    Whether by design or accident, the vaulted ceiling of the sanctuary provides superb acoustics, praised by musicians as well as speakers. Since 1974, it has been the home of the First Encounter Coffeehouse hosting a wide variety of folk musicians and is known far and wide as one of the best spaces in which to perform. From time to time various other community groups make use of this welcoming space for workshops and events, and it has always been a popular site for weddings and memorial services.

  • Map