Let's talk about getting married
You are newly engaged! You have a new accessory that you cannot stop staring at. You’ve told your family, friends, Facebook… you are on cloud nine! This is one of the most exciting times of your life. You are taking the next steps with that person who’s the one.
Now what’s on your checklist? First step, picking a date, booking your venue, then booking your wedding planner :)
Full steam ahead with wedding planning! It’s so easy to get lost in the whirlwind of the amazing experience of being engaged and planning what some consider the best day of their lives. We want it to be the best day of your lives but, take a beat. Take a breath. Remember that marriage is a commitment for hopefully the rest of your lives together.
While more and more weddings are non-traditional (not in a church), it’s easy to get swept up in the planning and skip a step that can solidify WHY you are getting married in the first place. Premarital counseling may seem like a thing of the past for many, but you are planning a huge life event, and we recommend at least having a conversation with your fiance about life and where it will take you. These questions may help you ease into the conversation...
- What does being married mean to us?
- Where are we going to live?
- Where do we spend holidays? Special Events?
- Are we having kids? How many? Who’s caring for them?
- Are we going to practice a religion or spirituality? Are we okay with having more than one religion?
- Career? Am I happy where I am or am I going to make a change?
- Finances? Prenuptial agreement? Savings?
- What do you want for your self 5, 10, 20 years down the line?
- What do we consider unfaithfulness?
- How do we handle arguments?
Take a weekend. Take a trip together. Have the conversation. Then back to the world of planning. We’ll see you there!